Common Sense Media is dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the trustworthy information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology.
We exist because our nation's children spend more time with media and digital activities than they do with their families or in school, which profoundly impacts their social, emotional, and physical development . As a non-partisan, not-for-profit organization, we provide trustworthy information and tools, as well as an independent forum, so that families can have a choice and a voice about the media they consume.
Ten Common Sense Beliefs
- We believe in media sanity, not censorship.
- We believe that media has truly become "the other parent" in our kids' lives, powerfully affecting their mental, physical, and social development.
- We believe in teaching our kids to be savvy, respectful and responsible media interpreters, creators, and communicators. We canâ€™t cover their eyes but we can teach them to see.
- We believe parents should have a choice and a voice about the media our kids consume and create. Every family is different but all need information.
- We believe that the price for free and open media is a bit of extra homework for families. Parents need to know about the media their kids use and need to teach responsible, ethical behavior as well as manage overall media use.
- We believe that through informed decision making, we can improve the media landscape one decision at a time.
- We believe appropriate regulations about right time, right place, and right manner exist. They need to be upheld by our elected and appointed leaders.
- We believe in age-appropriate media and that the media industry needs to act responsibly as it creates and markets content for each audience.
- We believe ratings systems should be independent and transparent for all media.
- We believe in diversity of programming and media ownership.
Funding Rounds (2) - $7.25MUpdate
|Sep 13, 2016||Boston Tech Flash - Viacom, Mattel, Hasbro reach settlement on 'Operation Child Tracker'|
|Aug 16, 2016||Business Wire - Learn With Homer, the #1 Learn-to-Read Program, Available Free to Educators|
|Jul 15, 2016||PRNewswire All - Family Christian Launches Exclusive Brand: "Cupcakes and Jesus"|
|Jun 17, 2016||Tech Cocktail - 5 Apps for the ‘Cool’ Parent|
|Jun 1, 2016||PRWeb Sitemap - Certiport Facilitates Idea Exchange Between Vietnam and Broward County Public Schools Officials|
|May 27, 2016||Business Insider Australia - A study says teens are spending nearly all their waking hours staring at screens|
|May 26, 2016||Business Insider (tech) - A study says teens are spending nearly all their waking hours staring at screens|
|May 22, 2016||Oklahoma City - This dark side of the Internet is costing young people their jobs and social lives|
650 Townsend St, Suite 375
San Francisco, CA 94103