Jerry Murdock co-founded Insight Venture Partners in 1995, and today serves as a special adviser to the firm. He has spent his career investing in, and building, technology companies that change and positively impact businesses and social practices. Jerry had a defining role in Insight's investment strategy and success, and was primarily responsible for the development of many of the Firm's portfolio investments.
Jerry is a passionate advocate of: * Social media and its impact on business and social interaction * Innovative companies and disruptive business models * Entrepreneurs * Understanding the commonalities that link artificial, human, and natural systems * Developing leaders for the next generation
Since 1999, eight of Jerry's investments have achieved successful IPOs on NASDAQ, several with market capitalizations in excess of a billion dollars. These include: Twitter (TWTR) Callwave (CALL, now Fuzebox), Click Commerce (CKCM ); Convergent Group (CVGP acquired by Schlumberger Ltd); DivX Inc (DVIX was subsequently acquired by Sonic Solutions (SNIC)); Illuminet (ILUM, acquired by VeriSign, Inc. (VRSN)); Quest Software (QSFT) and SeeBeyond Technology Corporation (SBYN). Several other companies have achieved successful strategic exits including Peace Software (acquired by First Data Corporation) and McKinley Group (acquired by Excite).
Jerry's current investments include:
*Twitter, the preeminent micro-blogging company
*Hortonworks, develops, distributes and supports a 100% open source distribution of Apache Hadoop for the enterprise, also training, support & services.
*Docker,is an opensource enginethat automates the deployment of any application as a lightweight, portable, self-sufficient container that will run virtually anywhere.
* Adcolony, mobile video ad-serving technology
* Flipboard, a provider of personalized, social digital magazines
* Klout, the standard for measuring online influence
* Path, your daily Journal to share with your real friends and family.
Jerry is passionate about public service, using his network and capabilities to impact causes he believes in. In particular, Jerry plays a leading role as a member of the Board of Trustees at:
* The Aspen Institute whose mission is to foster values-based leadership, encouraging individuals to reflect on the ideals and ideas that define a good society, and to provide a neutral and balanced venue for discussing and acting on critical issues.
* The Santa Fe Institute which is a multi-disciplinary research and education center focused on understanding complex adaptive systems as a critical component in addressing key environmental, technological, biological, economic, and political challenges.
Jerry is a co-founder, along with John Doerr, of For the Forest, a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote the health of forests, with particular emphasis on promoting the long-term sustainability of Western forests by providing research, management, expertise and related resources.
Jerry Murdock graduated with a degree in Political Science from San Diego State University and subsequently worked at the Georgetown Center for Strategic & International Studies (now known as CSIS).
Advisory Roles (4)Update
- 03/16/12 -techcrunch.com