Jerry Murdock co-founded Insight Venture Partners in 1995, and today serves as a special adviser to the firm. He has spent his career investing in, and building, technology companies that change and positively impact businesses and social practices. Jerry had a defining role in Insight’s investment strategy and success, and was primarily responsible for the development of many of the Firm’s portfolio investments.
Jerry is a passionate advocate of:
- Social media and its impact on business and social interaction
- Innovative companies and disruptive business models
- Understanding the commonalities that link artificial, human, and natural systems
- Developing leaders for the next generation
Since 1999, seven of Jerry’s investments have achieved successful IPOs on NASDAQ, several with market capitalizations in excess of a billion dollars. These include: Callwave (CALL, now Fuzebox), Click Commerce (CKCM ); Convergent Group (CVGP acquired by Schlumberger Ltd); DivX Inc (DVIX was subsequently acquired by Sonic Solutions (SNIC)); Illuminet (ILUM, acquired by VeriSign, Inc. (VRSN)); Quest Software (QSFT) and SeeBeyond Technology Corporation (SBYN). Several other companies have achieved successful strategic exits including Peace Software (acquired by First Data Corporation) and McKinley Group (acquired by Excite).
Jerry’s current investments include:
- Beatport, a leading e-retailer of electronic and house music for DJs
- Jirbo, a developer of casual iOS games and premium mobile video ad-serving technology
- Flipboard, a provider of personalized, social digital magazines
- FuzeBox, an online collaboration solutions for high-definition content sharing
- Twitter, the preeminent micro-blogging company
- Klout, the standard for measuring online influence
- Path, your daily Journal to share with your real friends and family.
- MySocialCloud, the home for all of your passions online.
Jerry is passionate about public service, using his network and capabilities to impact causes he believes in. In particular, Jerry plays a leading role as a member of the Board of Trustees at:
- The Aspen Institute whose mission is to foster values-based leadership, encouraging individuals to reflect on the ideals and ideas that define a good society, and to provide a neutral and balanced venue for discussing and acting on critical issues.
- The Santa Fe Institute which is a multi-disciplinary research and education center focused on understanding complex adaptive systems as a critical component in addressing key environmental, technological, biological, economic, and political challenges.
Jerry is a co-founder, along with John Doerr, of For the Forest, a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote the health of forests, with particular emphasis on promoting the long-term sustainability of Western forests by providing research, management, expertise and related resources.
- Jerry is a moderator and speaker. In 2008 he moderated a series of dialogues at NYU and Tufts University on the topic of Compassionate Leadership: http://bit.ly/ch1IBO
- At the Aspen Institute in 2008, Jerry led a discussion on The Changing Landscape of Media: http://bit.ly/beC6Od
- Jerry was a key organizer and moderator at the Aspen Ideas Festival, 2010. http://bit.ly/92twQw
- Jerry was interviewed by Genconnect about Twitter in July 2010: http://bit.ly/9W4uLR
- Jerry introduced a Panel on the topics of A New Approach to Cancer at Aspen 2010: http://bit.ly/bTuRsW
Jerry Murdock graduated with a degree in Political Science from San Diego State University and subsequently worked at the Georgetown Center for Strategic & International Studies (now known as CSIS).
Path Announces $30M+ Round Of Funding, Investors Include Sir Richard Branson (techcrunch.com)
Sir Richard Branson & Flipboard Investor Jerry Murdock Put Nearly $1M Into MySocialCloud (techcrunch.com)