- Funding Received
- $38.3 Million in 3 Rounds from 5 Investors
- Most Recent Funding
- $20 Million Series C on February 18, 2014
- Pittsburgh, PA
- Duolingo is a free language-learning website and crowdsourced text-translation platform.
- Severin Hacker, Luis von Ahn, Jose Fuentes, Hector Villafuerte, Brendan Meeder, Marcel Eukermann, Vicki Cheung, Antonio Navas
- Crowdsourcing, Translation, Education
Learning languages in Duolingo is completely free – now and forever – with no ads or hidden fees. Wondering how that can be? It’s because you create value by translating real-world documents while you’re learning.
Here’s how it works: Somebody who needs a webpage translated uploads it to Duolingo. That document then gets presented to Duolingo students who can translate it in order to practice the language they are learning. When the document is fully translated, Duolingo returns it to the original content owner who, depending on the type of document they uploaded, pays for the translation.
Funding Rounds (3) - $20MUpdate
5533 Walnut St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
- 07/23/14 -techcrunch.com
- 05/26/14 -techinasia.com
- 07/11/13 -techcrunch.com