- Acquired by Sonic Solutions
- Jerome Rota, Darrius Thompson
- San Diego, CA
- Went Public on Oct 22, 2006
- Video, Software
- DivX creates, distributes and licenses digital video technologies that enable consumers to enjoy video experiences on any device.
DivX provides the popular DivX codec, which allows for high quality videos and minimal file sizes.
DivX, LLC, (NASDAQ: SNIC) a division of Sonic Solutions, enables consumers to enjoy a high-quality video experience across any kind of device. We create, distribute and license digital video technologies that span the "three screens" comprising today's consumer media environment — the PC, the television and mobile devices. Over 350 million DivX devices have shipped into the market from leading consumer electronics manufacturers. We also offer content providers and publishers a complete solution for the distribution of secure, high-quality digital video content. Driven by a globally recognized brand and a passionate community of hundreds of millions of consumers, DivX is simplifying the video experience to enable the digital home.
DivX is among the world's most popular digital media formats, powering a worldwide ecosystem of content, software and consumer electronics devices.
* DivX™ is a registered trademark of DivX, Inc. * DivX™ is a digital media format * DivX™ software enables the playback and creation of high definition H.264 video in an MKV file container * DivX™ licenses its technology to content creators and provides an online video-on-demand system for content distributors * DivX™ offers certification programs for software and hardware products that support DivX™ video creation and playback * DivX, Inc. was incorporated in May 2000 and completed its IPO in September 2006 * In November 2007, DivX, Inc. acquired MainConcept, a leading provider of H.264 video technology * In late 2008, DivX, Inc. launched its newest certification program for devices that play DivX Plus HD (H.264-based) video * In August 2009, DivX, Inc. acquired AnySource Media, the creator of the on-demand Internet television platform * DivX TV was announced in January 2010, bringing Internet media to the TV in an embedded platform * Lionsgate, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Starz Media's Overture Films and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution have approved distribution of their content by retailers using the DivX™ format * Hollywood content in the DivX™ format is available online from CinemaNow (US), Film Fresh (US), Warner Video Live (France), FilmOn.com (UK) and Play4Film (Worldwide)
Current Team (7)Update
Past Team (24)Update
2001 - Jan, 2008
Lead, New Technologies
2004 - Jan, 2007
May 1, 2002 - Feb 1, 2007
Chief Executive Officer
Nov 22, 2002 - Oct, 2010
Vice President, Business Development & Strategy
Aug, 2003 - Aug, 2008
Nov, 2003 - Mar, 2008
Senior Director, Marketing and Brand
Mar, 2001 - Apr, 2012
Funding Rounds (4) - $35MUpdate
DivX Plus Software was added to CrunchBase in 2010
DivX Plus Player was added to CrunchBase in 2010
DivX Plus Converter was added to CrunchBase in 2010
DivX Plus Web Player was added to CrunchBase in 2010
DivX TV was added to CrunchBase in 2010
DivX HiQ was added to CrunchBase in 2010
Insight Venture Partners is a private equity and venture capital firm investing in growth-stage...
New Atlantic Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm investing in cybersecurity, mobile,...
EPIC Ventures is an investment company working with driven entrepreneurs to build successful and...
Being strategically located in Singapore, the firm is in an optimal position to bridge technology...
ALi is a supplier of integrated circuits for Digital A/V, STB, PMP, high-speed imaging, storage...
Cardinal Venture Capital invests in early stage technology companies in the areas of Digital...
WI Harper Group is a venture capital firm that focuses on early and early expansion investments...
4780 Eastgate Mall
San Diego, CA 92121
Wuapi is a video-sharing website that enables users to share high definition videos.
- 10/19/11 -techcrunch.com
- 06/02/10 -techcrunch.com