- Funding Received
- $190 Thousand in 2 Rounds from 4 Investors
- Most Recent Funding
- $150 Thousand Seed on September 8, 2012
- October 23, 2010
- People-Powered Universal Translator for Live Conversations. Enabling Global Communication.
- Mayel de Borniol, Josef Dunne
- Crowdsourcing, Hospitality, Tourism, Social Travel, Travel, Mobile, Skill Assessment, Natural Language Processing, Communications Infrastructure, Collaborative Consumption, Communities, Language Learning, World Domination, Events, Consumer Electronics, Translation, Real Time, Curated Web
Babelverse is the first and only human powered "universal translator."
1st solution for on-demand interpretation (real time translation of spoken communication) in any language by remote bilinguals or professional linguists, in various situations, such as on-the-spot on your mobile, attending a conference, watching a video, etc.
Users make a request for a language pair and tier of service, a handful of our best available interpreters are notified, and the first to accept is connected with the user, via voice-over-IP or by calling a local or toll-free number.
Babelverse is an award winning startup (LeWeb, TheNextWeb, TechCrunch Disrupt) with great momentum globally.
CNBC says: "Like many other rapidly growing start-ups, Babelverse was born to address a universal problem. [...] Innovation or disruption, Babelverse is at the forefront of the tech-driven changes shaking up the $34 billion language-services market. [...] the industry is finally having its start-up moment."
In September 2012, Babelverse powered the live interpretation of TechCrunch Disrupt SF 2012 into 12 languages - http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/09/techcrunch-disrupt-goes-global-with-babelverses-real-time-translation/
Babelverse has a big vision: to do to language barriers what the airplane did to geographical barriers. To attain the seemingly science-fictional idea of everyone being able to truly communicate and understand each other, while simply speaking their own native languages.
Current Team (3)Update
500 Startups is an early-stage seed fund and incubator program investing primarily in consumer...
SV Angel is the micro VC firm located in Silicon Valley and founded by angel investors, Ron...
Start-Up Chile is a program of the Chilean government to attract high-potential entrepreneurs to...
145-157 St John Street
London, EC1V 4PW
San Francisco HQ
28 2nd St
San Francisco, CA 94105