- Funding Received
- $11 Million in 2 Rounds from 4 Investors
- Most Recent Funding
- $10 Million on June 9, 2011 / Undisclosed Round
- January 1, 2008
- AlterGeo, formerly named Wi2Geo, develops the global hybrid system of positioning by WiFi, WiMAX, GSM, LTE, IP and network environment
- Sergey Kurlovich, Alexandre Dorjiev, Anton Baranchuk, Denis Alaev
- Local Search, Reviews and Recommendations, Personalization, Indoor Positioning, Advertising, Mobile Advertising, Local Advertising, Information Technology, Technology, Navigation, Services, Discounts, Private Social Networking, Windows Phone 7, Android, iPhone, Gps, Wireless, Location Based Services, Social Network Media, Apps, Mobile, Social Media
Founded in 2008, AlterGeo (formerly known as Wi2Geo) develops a hybrid positioning system which combines the advantages of navigation based on WiFi, WiMAX, GSM, GPS, CDMA, IP and several other methods, and is an author of Russia's leading cross-platform location-based social networking service AlterGeo.
In November 2012, the company released in Russia an intelligent restaurant recommendation guide, Gvidi launched in the US in July 2013.
AlterGeo has already been recognized internationally. In January 2013, the company won The Europas as the Best Russian Startup and was shortlisted for the Best Transport, Travel or Environmental Startup there. In 2012, AlterGeo was given the Bully Award, named finalist of Red Herring Top 100 Global and Europe, and included in Informilo's list of Russia's Top 25 Hottest Tech Companies.
* The company's technological platform positions 30M+ devices and serves 170M+ locations on a daily basis. It includes back-end positioning algorithms, data of 110M+ unique WiFi and other radio signals spots and stations across the world, API for partners, and SDK's for all major mobile platforms, including iOS, Android, Symbian, Windows Phone 7, and Mac OS.
* The social network, AlterGeo (http://altergeo.ru), helps navigate in and around cities. It provides an easy way to find new interesting places around, share current location with friends, give and receive useful recommendations, and get discounts and bonuses in restaurants and other recreational and business venues. AlterGeo is available at http://altergeo.ru and its mobile version http://m.altergeo.ru, as well as through free mobile applications for iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7 and Bada. Currently AlterGeo enjoys the audience of 1M+ users, mostly in Russia and Ukraine.
* The mobile recommendations service, Gvidi (http://gvidi.me), studies its users' private preferences and social graph in order to give them highly personalized recommendations about certain surrounding cafes, bars and restaurants.
Past Team (4)Update
Funding Rounds (2) - $11MUpdate
Gvidi is your personal intelligent guide to nearby restaurants. Gvidi features a massive...
AlterGeo, formerly known as Wi2Geo, is the leading location-based mobile social networking...
AlterGeo is the global hybrid location system for the positioning of electronic devices by WiFi,...
3/1 Prospekt Mira
Yelp is an online urban guide that helps people find recommended destinations based on the...
Ness Computing personalizes search results and recommendations and offers as its initial product...
Skyhook Wireless is a global location network providing the best location for apps and devices...
Foursquare is a location-based social network where users receive points and virtual badges for...
Nulaz delivers location based social networking services. With Nulaz you can see where your...
Loopt is a mobile application and website that connects people to their community.
- 04/23/14 -techcrunch.com
- 06/09/11 -techcrunch.com
- 06/09/11 -techcrunch.com
- 12/28/09 -blog.quintura.com