Switch and Data
Switch and Data is a leading provider of Internet exchange and co-location services. Based in Tampa, Florida, Switch and Data operates 35 (thirty-five) high-power density Data Centers and 7 (seven) PAIX Peering Internet Exchanges throughout North America, serving more than 1,000 customers. Switch and Data’s PAIX is recognized worldwide as the premier name in peering and Internet exchange services, as not only the first public peering exchange, but also home to one of the largest commercial exchange points in North America.
- A minimum of 20%, year over year, growth for 5 years running
- $205.4M of Revenue in 2009
- Peering Exchange & Interconnection Provider to over 400 networks including the following US Tier 1 carriers: AT&T, Verizon, Level 3, Sprint, Global Crossing.
- 2.4, 4 and 6 kW power load rated cabinets as a standard Offer (Hot Aisle Heat Containment Options available for higher power density levels)
- N+1 AC Power Plant and 2N+1 DC Power Plant
- Operator of the Largest East and West Coast Peering Exchange Points (NY Metro & Bay Area Metro PAIX Peering Exchanges)
Content & Entertainment Practice
A cross-functional Team of Engineers, Product & Marketing Managers and Sales Executives dedicated to supporting the Content & Entertainment vertical. The Practice supports Content, Media and Gaming companies on Infrastructures by designing, developing, deploying and supporting these environments.
- $40M in recurring revenue
- Over 25+ years of Vertical Industry Experience
- Unprecedented Expertise
- Infrastructure Application
- Online Gaming (MMOG)
- Digital Distribution
- Streaming Services
- Web 2.0 & Social Networking
- Cloud and Utility based Services
- Infrastructure Optimization
- Power Design
- Hardware Platform Technologies
- Geographic Placement & Municipality Expertise
- Data Center Migration
- IP Transit & Peering Services
- Practice supports 21 CDNs
- Akamai & Limelight’s largest vendor
- Practice supports world’s largest Search Engine; world’s largest Social Networking Website; world’s largest Software Company; all US based MSOs (cable providers) and two US based Satellite Providers
What does Switch and Data have to do with Content & Entertainment?
- Most Networks can’t handle the volume generated by Content & Entertainment Providers, by placing your infrastructure at the Network Exchange Point it gives you the ability to access numerous egress points at once—removing the single network provider bottleneck.
- Switch and Data offers extensive resources to deliver a high-quality end-user experience
- 5 Content & Entertainment (C&E) Regional Managers; 3 C&E Customer Solution Engineers; 3 C&E Sales Operations Support Personnel; 150 Operations Engineers; 2,000 PAIX Peering Ports; 44,170 Network Ports to ensure network reliability
- Less network hops, results in less latency, equals better performance
How does Switch and Data efficiently link millions of users to online Content & Entertainment?
- Switch and Data’s PAIX Peering Exchanges transact more packets between networks, or content providers and networks, than any other group of Peering Exchanges in the World
- Switch and Data’s PAIX Peering Exchanges act as a reliable network exchange point to 97% of the world’s Internet traffic
- Switch and Data’s Palo Alto PAIX was the first Internet Exchange in the World with more traffic going through this Site than any other location in the World
- The World is going broadband and more broadband network providers connect at Switch and Data Sites and PAIX Peering Exchange locations than any other group of locations within North America
Equinix to Acquire Switch and Data in $689 Million Deal That Expands Equinix's Presence into 16 New Markets (equinix.com)